Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Limiting activities while pregnant

How do you decide which activities to limit while you're pregnant? Do you make commitments to do things because you always have or because you feel fine and think you'll be able to? Or do you try to be cautious and either delegate, wait to see how you feel or just try to get as much off your plate as possible? Also do you find yourself changing more for your physical state or to reduce stress?

I had a few goals I'm having a hard time prioritizing because of the effects of pregnancy. I'm just trying to get an idea of how others deal with the limitations of pregnancy.

Comments

• I had a struggle with this, especially during my law pregnancy. I didn't want pregnancy to limit me because it didn't in the pregnancy before but this last pregnancy I had to learn the hard way over and over again that I couldn't physically or mentally do what I wanted. I think at some point you can wing it, but be cautious and give yourself space to adapt to changes that might come up physically or emotionally.
  • I haven't limited any activities. If anything I might be doing more. I'm really trying to get prepared, mentally, physically and financially for taking care of twins. I'm going to the gym, I'm working, I'm in school too. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it but I'm trying to do as much as I can before I have the twins and really have to take a break from everything.
  • I think one of the most important lessons to learn in pregnancy is to slow down, trust and listen to your body and prevent too much stress. Sometimes we're addicted to stress and we don't even feel like the stress is a bad thing, until we see the side effects, which can happen too quickly.

That is what happened to me in my last pregnancy. I think having support is the most important thing and having people around you who understand and encourage you to relax, even when you don't want to. That's what helped me during my first pregnancy. I was pretty sick and worried with that pregnancy until I got in touch with my yoga teacher and a community that supported natural and healthy pregnancy.

Another thing that can happen is that you can neglect important things and important people and isolate yourself when you have too much on your plate. So I think it's a fine balance. It's different for everyone, but we're still similar in most situations.