Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Pregnant after contraception

My sister in law called me last week and told that she is pregnant. As far as I know she has done contraception before 13 years, after her second delivery. I am not sure what method she has used. Her first son is 15 years and second is 13 years old.

Is it really possible to get pregnant even after contraception? If yes, which is method have a higher risk of failure? I have done a keyhole surgery for the same 3 years back and now I am worried hearing this.

Comments

• I'm not sure if there is any method that has 100% accuracy. I have heard of many people becoming pregnant while using contraception. A lot of it may be human error, like forgetting to take medication or putting a diaphragm in wrong or it getting loose. This came up in google: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/how-effective-contraception.aspx
  • Female sterilization is the most common permanent contraceptive method used in India.

As far as I understand, the issue occurred more than 10 years after the procedure which is very rare. This can be due to natural tubal lumen regeneration which means the natural healing of the fallopian tubes in a long run. Another possibility is that of an Ectopic Pregnancy which means the fertilized egg is placed and developing some where in the blocked tube and not in the uterus.

Here, if your sister-in law is not having any complications, then the pregnancy will be more more like to be because of the first possibility. So congrats to her... :)
  • Ganga R wrote: »
    Female sterilization is the most common permanent contraceptive method used in India.

As far as I understand, the issue occurred more than 10 years after the procedure which is very rare. This can be due to natural tubal lumen regeneration which means the natural healing of the fallopian tubes in a long run. Another possibility is that of an Ectopic Pregnancy which means the fertilized egg is placed and developing some where in the blocked tube and not in the uterus.

Here, if your sister-in law is not having any complications, then the pregnancy will be more more like to be because of the first possibility. So congrats to her... :)

Thanks for the information, Ganga
  • I had a tubal ligation after the birth of my fourth child. Number five came seven years later. Everything just started working again. Number five was not planned but he sure was a blessed event. Probably the best way to avoid having any more children is for our fine men to have vasectomy's. It usually takes about three months to become completely effective but usually has a 100 percent rate at preventing pregnancy.https://plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/vasectomy/how-effective-vasectomy