Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Minimum age for leaving a kid home alone for a short period

I am a stay at home mother. My husband goes out for work every morning and I have to handle all the household tasks like cooking, shopping etc. My son is 8 years old now. Sometimes, when he has no school, he is not be ready to come out with me for shopping as he finds it boring. What can be the minimum age for leaving a kid home alone for a short period of time?

Comments

• I was just looking this up recently. It really seems to depend on where you live, but most places I've seen actually say 8 years old is a good age for this. I think it depends also on how much time you're going to be gone and how comfortable your child feels with handling things in case of an emergency.
  • I think I would see if a neighbor or someone could stop by or if the kid could go to someone's house while I am out. I think I'd wait until they are more mature, like around 12 and older. They might also be nervous staying home alone.
  • Thanks for your reply. Actually my son is not worried about being alone. He himself will say that I will manage it. But I am worried and always think what he will do in case of an emergency.
  • My daughters are 7 and 5 years old. I have left them alone at home to a shop which is at 5 mins walking distance. I usually takes 15 to 30 mins to return. They will watch TV or do some painting. I will keep something to eat and drink on the table. I will always warn them not to enter the kitchen and not to open the doors even though I will lock it from outside.

But I will be having a tension deep inside my heart and will try to return as early as possible :smiley:
  • Thanks for your reply. Actually my son is not worried about being alone. He himself will say that I will manage it. But I am worried and always think what he will do in case of an emergency.

Yamini I understand. If you haven't already maybe it would be a good idea to get a plan together in case of different emergencies and act it out with him a few times, so you have peace of mind about him being prepared.
  • yogimama wrote: »
    Yamini I understand. If you haven't already maybe it would be a good idea to get a plan together in case of different emergencies and act it out with him a few times, so you have peace of mind about him being prepared.

Thats a good idea...but can you explain so that I can get a better idea regarding how I need to train him in some particular situation?

• Different emergencies such as:

1. If there is a fire, what do you do? If you're in the main house or if you're in a room.
    2. If someone knocks at the door or comes into the house.
    3. If you feel sick or hurt yourself.
    4. If there is a weather emergency, natural disaster or emergency outside.
    5. Emergency numbers, who to call and how to use a phone.
  • yogimama wrote: »
    Different emergencies such as:

1. If there is a fire, what do you do? If you're in the main house or if you're in a room.
    2. If someone knocks at the door or comes into the house.
    3. If you feel sick or hurt yourself.
    4. If there is a weather emergency, natural disaster or emergency outside.
    5. Emergency numbers, who to call and how to use a phone.

Thanks...This can help to an extend. I will make a try.
  • I hope that helps you feel more comfortable about leaving him alone.
  • It really depends on the child and their maturity level. You know your child better than anyone. Trust your instincts. If something is telling you not to leave him alone then don't. Mama usually knows when they are ready.